1 a number or letter indicating quality (especially of a student's performance); "she made good marks in algebra"; "grade A milk"; "what was your score on your homework?" [syn: mark, grade]
2 a written form of a musical composition; parts for different instruments appear on separate staves on large pages; "he studied the score of the sonata" [syn: musical score]
3 a number that expresses the accomplishment of a team or an individual in a game or contest; "the score was 7 to 0"
4 a set of twenty members; "a score were sent out but only one returned"
5 grounds; "don't do it on my account"; "the paper was rejected on account of its length"; "he tried to blame the victim but his success on that score was doubtful" [syn: account]
6 the facts about an actual situation; "he didn't know the score"
7 an amount due (as at a restaurant or bar); "add it to my score and I'll settle later"
8 a slight surface cut (especially a notch that is made to keep a tally) [syn: scotch]
9 a resentment strong enough to justify retaliation; "holding a grudge"; "settling a score" [syn: grudge, grievance]
10 the act of scoring in a game or sport; "the winning score came with less than a minute left to play"
11 a seduction culminating in sexual intercourse; "calling his seduction of the girl a `score' was a typical example of male slang" [syn: sexual conquest]
1 gain points in a game; "The home team scored many times"; "He hit a home run"; "He hit .300 in the past season" [syn: hit, tally, rack up]
3 make underscoring marks [syn: mark]
4 write a musical score for
5 induce to have sex; "Harry finally seduced Sally"; "Did you score last night?"; "Harry made Sally" [syn: seduce, make]
6 get a certain number or letter indicating quality or performance; "She scored high on the SAT"; "He scored a 200"
7 assign a grade or rank to, according to one's evaluation; "grade tests"; "score the SAT essays"; "mark homework" [syn: grade, mark]
- (RP): , /skɔː/, /skO:/
- (US): , /skoʊr/, /skɔːr/, /skO:r/
- Rhymes: -ɔː(r)
EtymologyFrom the scora, notch (and hence, a tally). (For twenty: The mark on a tally made by drovers for every twenty beasts passing through a tollgate.)
- The total number of points earned by a participant in a game.
- The score is 4-0 although it's not even half-time!
- Some words have scores of meanings.
- 1863 November 19, Abraham Lincoln, The Gettysburg Address,
based on the signed "Bliss Copy"
- "Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal."
- A book or set of pages showing all the parts for a musical composition.
- A presentation of how many runs a side has scored, and how many
wickets have been lost.
- England had a score of 107 for 5 at lunch.
- The number of runs scored by a batsman, or by a side, in either an innings or a match.
number of points earned
- Chinese: 得分 (défēn)
- Crimean Tatar: ball
- Czech: skóre
- Dutch: stand
- Finnish: tilanne, tulos, päätösnumerot, pistemäärä
- French: nombre de points
- German: Spielergebnis , Spielstand
- Hungarian: eredmény
- Italian: punteggio
- Japanese: スコア (sukoa)
- Korean: 득점 (deukjeom)
- Portuguese: marcador
- Romanian: scor
- Russian: счёт (sčot)
- Spanish: tantos m|p
- Swedish: poängsumma
book containing musical composition
- To earn points in a game.
- Pelé scores again!
- To earn points in a game.
- It is unusual for a team to score a hundred goals in one game.
- To scratch (paper or cardboard) with a sharp implement to make it easier to fold.
- To obtain (usually used in reference to illegal drugs, but often sex with a casual partner).
(intransitive) to earn points in a game
(transitive) to earn points in a game
(transitive) to scratch paper
- German: anritzen
(transitive) to obtain drugs or sex
- Finnish: saada
Score may refer to:
Numbers and statistics
- Score (game), a number of points achieved in a sporting event or game.
- a unit of twenty
- Score (statistics), the derivative, with respect to some parameter θ, of the logarithm of the likelihood function
- Raw score, an original datum that has not been transformed
- Standard score, a dimensionless quantity derived from the raw score
- Baseball scoring, a shorthand method of keeping track of statistics in a baseball game
Arts and crafts
- Musical score, a set of instructions giving the overall picture of a composition
- Dance score, a set of choreographic instructions expressed in a dance notation.
- SCORE notation program, a music scorewriter
- Film score, a sound recording of the music in a film
- Score (album), the live CD/DVD by progressive metal band Dream Theater
- Score (film), a 1972 pornographic film
- Score, a UK-based football comic, originally Score and Roar, published in 1970, merged with rival comic Scorcher in 1971
- A method used to join two pieces of pottery, each side is scored and then pressed together
- I Like to Score, an album by Moby, punning on the sexual, drug related, and film music uses of the word
- Final Score/Score, a BBC soccer programme
- Score, a sports trading card brand
- Score (magazine), a pornographic magazine
- SCORE, a Czech games magazine
- SCORE (Spain), a free general sports magazine
- SCORE (television), a defunct joint television network
- Score Entertainment, makers of the Dragon Ball Z trading card game
- Score Inverness, a former radio company
- SCORE (306) Radio: Counselors to America's Small Business, a radio show hosted by SCORE Westchester, Chapter 306
- a slang term for the verb of sexual intercourse or related sexual activity
- SCORE Association, originally an acronym for Service Corps of Retired Executives, a resource partner with the Small Business Administration
- SCORE! Educational Centers
- SCORE International, an Offroad racing organization
- Acronym for the "Statistics, Computing, Operational Research and Economics" degree programme offered by University College London
score in German: Score
score in French: Score
score in Dutch: Score
score in Japanese: スコア
score in Norwegian: Score
score in Simple English: Score
score in Serbian: Партитура
score in Swedish: Lista över golftermer#Score
L, Nachtmusik, Sexagesima, Vandyke, absolute music, accompaniment, accomplish, account, account current, account for, account rendered, account stated, accounts payable, accounts receivable, achieve, acquire, adapt, adaptation, add, aggregate, air varie, aleatory, aleatory music, algebraize, alphabet, ambition, amount, amount due, armies, army, arrange, arrangement, arrive, art, aspiration, attain, autolithograph, avenge, bad debts, bag, balance, band, bar, basis, be a printmaker, be seized of, be successful, bevy, bezel, bill, bill of account, bill of lading, bills, birthmark, blaze, blaze a trail, blemish, blotch, blueprint, book, borrowing, box score, boxcar, boxcars, brand, brass tacks, break the bank, burr, calculate, calendar, calling, canal, canalize, capture, carve, cash account, cast, caste mark, castigate, catalog, catch, cause, chalk, chalk up, chamber music, chamber orchestra, chamfer, channel, character, charactering, characterization, charge, charges, chart, chase, check, check off, checkmark, chink, chisel, chiseling, chits, chop, choreography, chump, cicatrix, cicatrize, cipher, cleft, cloud, come by, come in for, come into, compose, composition, compute, condition, consideration, continuity, contract, control account, conventional representation, copy, corral, corrugate, corrugation, cost, count, count for, crack, cranny, crease, crena, crenellate, crenulate, cribble, crimp, cross-hatching, crosshatch, crowd, cue, cut, dado, damage, dance notation, dapple, dash, debt, deface, define, delimit, delineation, demarcate, demitint, demonstration, depiction, depictment, depression, derive, descant, diagonal, diagram, difference, dike, discolor, discoloration, ditch, divide, dope out, dot, dotted line, dozen, dozens, draft, drag down, drama, draw, drawing, due, dues, dun, duodecimo, dupe, earmark, earn, edition, eighty, electronic music, eleven, enchase, engrave, engravement, engraving, enroll, enter, enter into possession, enumerate, essential facts, essentials, estimate, etch, etching, etude, excoriate, exemplification, exercise, expenditure, expense, extract roots, fall guy, fifteen, fifty, figuration, figure, figure in, figure out, file, financial commitment, five and twenty, flay, fleck, flick, floating debt, flock, flocks, flourish, flute, fluting, fortnight, forty, four and twenty, fourscore, fourscore and ten, fourteen, freckle, funded debt, furrow, gain, gash, gem-engraving, get, glass-cutting, glyptic, go, goal, goat, goffer, gouge, grade, graduate, grand slam, grave, graving, greenhorn, groove, ground, grounds, grudge, guiding light, guiding star, gull, gully, hachure, hack, hairline, half a hundred, half tint, harmonization, harmonize, harvest, hatch, hatching, herds, hieroglyphic, hit, hit it, hit the jackpot, hit the mark, hole, hole in one, home run, homer, hordes, host, hosts, hymnal, hymnbook, iconography, ideal, ideogram, illustration, imagery, imaging, impanel, impress, imprint, incidental music, incise, incision, income account, indebtedness, indebtment, indent, indentation, index, inscribe, inscript, inscription, inspiration, instrument, instrumental music, instrumental score, instrumentate, intention, invention, inventory, invoice, itemize, itemized bill, jag, jog, joggle, jot, keep score, kerf, knurl, latest, legion, legions, lentigo, letter, liability, libretto, limning, line, lineation, lines, lining, list, lithograph, lodestar, logogram, logograph, long dozen, lots, lute tablature, machicolate, macula, mainspring, make, make a hit, make a killing, make a mark, make an adaptation, make an impression, make out, make prints, manifest, map, mar, mark, mark off, mark out, marking, masses, matter, maturity, measure, melodize, microgroove, mill, millions, mole, motive, mottle, mug, multiply, multitudes, music, music paper, music roll, musical notation, musical score, musicalize, myriads, national debt, net, nevus, news, nick, ninety, nock, nocturne, nonagenarian, notation, notch, number, numbers, obligation, obtain, octogenarian, opera, opera score, opus, orchestral score, orchestrate, orchestration, outstanding debt, packs, part, patch, patsy, pencil, pepper, piano score, picot, pictogram, picturization, piece, pigeonhole, pink, plan, playbook, pleat, pledge, plow, point, polka dot, poop, portraiture, portrayal, post, prefigurement, presentment, price, price tag, prick, principle, print, printing, procure, product, production, program, program music, projection, prosper, provision account, provocation, public debt, pull down, punch, punctuate, puncture, put to music, quantity, quindecennial, quindecim, quindecima, quindene, rabbet, rate, rationale, reach, realization, realize, ream out, reap, reason, reckon, reckoning, record, register, rendering, rendition, repay, representation, retaliate, revenue account, ricercar, riddle, rifle, rifling, ring the bell, rout, ruck, running account, rut, sack, sake, sales account, scallop, scar, scarification, scarify, scathe, scenario, scene plot, schedule, schema, scoop, scorch, score a success, scores, scoring, scotch, scourge, scrape, scratch, scratching, script, sculpture, seal, seam, secure, selling account, septuagenarian, serrate, serration, set, set to music, seventy, sexagenarian, sexagenary, sexagesimo-quarto, sheet music, shoals, shooting script, short score, side, sitting duck, situation, sixteen, sixteenmo, sixty, sixty-four, sixty-fourmo, slam, slash, slashing, slit, sonata, sonatina, songbook, songster, source, speck, speckle, splash, splotch, spot, spring, stain, stamp, statement, status quo, stigma, stigmatize, stipple, stippling, stock account, story, strawberry mark, streak, streaking, stria, striate, striation, strike, string orchestra, string quartet, strip, stripe, striping, stroke, study, sublineation, subtract, succeed, sucker, sulcation, sulcus, sum, summary, summation, suspense account, swarms, syllabary, symbol, tab, tablature, tabulate, take, take account of, tale, tally, tattoo, tattoo mark, tear to pieces, teens, text, the bottom line, the data, the details, the dope, the facts, the information, the particulars, the picture, the scoop, the specifics, the story, the whole story, theme and variations, thirteen, thirty-two, thirty-twomo, threescore, threescore and ten, thrive, tick, tick off, tint, tittle, tool, tooling, tooth, total, touchdown, trace, transcribe, transcript, transcription, transpose, trench, trio, triumph, trough, turn up trumps, twelve, twelvemo, twenty, twenty-five, twenty-four, twenty-fourmo, two dozen, two weeks, twoscore, type-cutting, ulterior motive, uncollectibles, underline, underlining, underscore, underscoring, unfulfilled pledge, valuation account, variation, version, victim, virgule, vocal score, vocation, watermark, well-worn groove, whole, win, word, work, work out, wrinkle, write, writing, written music, x number